Koh Tee Huat

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My DVD Player


You may be wondering what the photo above is about. See the VCD near the top right of the photo? What happened was that when my 3 years-old daughter loaded the VCD, it went inside the DVD player and we could not retrieve it. Naturally I did not blame her as she is only 3 and she may not have placed the VCD properly. I took it as a challenge to retrieve the VCD.

It took me an hour to slowly dismantle the player and locate the VCD stuck inside. It was not as simple as I thought. The VCD was in an enclosure that my fingers could not reach. Also, along the way, I had to memorize how I dismantle the parts or else I could not reassemble them. I observed carefully which screws to remove, which ones not to. I was concerned that irrelevant parts would come off and I would not be able to fix them back. It really tested my patience and persistence. After several attempts with help of different screwdrivers, I managed to extract the VCD (Thank goodness).

When I played the VCD and the DVD player still worked fine despite that it had gone through a ‘surgery’, I suddenly felt a strong sense of satisfaction for accomplishing a task. It makes me realize that it is always great to take challenges, face it head on, goes against all odds and completed it. It makes me mentally stronger and knowledgeable.

Knowledgeable in a sense that I now know more about the different components of the player and I am amazed about the sophisticated electronic and mechanical components that have to work together to create the sound and video I as end-user just take for granted. There must be many people that have worked together to see that the design of this player works.

In another perspective, we have to realize that we could not work alone in this world. We need to collaborate and cooperative with one another (teamwork) so that we achieve more which we, as individual, cannot manage.


 
This counter started on 16 June 2008: Free Site Counters