Koh Tee Huat

Friday, September 08, 2006

Wonderful Mt Ophir Expedition

I'm finally back from Mt Ophir! Shoulder and thighs aching badly, but I feel wonderful. It has been 15 years since I last climbed Mt Ophir, and never have I thought before that I will touch that same monument at the summit again after so many years and a great emotion just came to me at the summit.

Thank goodness there was no rain in our 3 days on the mountain. Great to be in touch with nature again; sleeping in the jungle, bathing in the stream with fishes around me and drinking water straight from the stream for 3 days.

The climb was tedious with steep slopes that seems never-ending and some dangerous cliffs where we can only use a rope to climb. When I were going down the steep slopes back to base camp, I just wondered how I managed to climb all these slopes and I felt very happy for achiving the climb.

Some reflection I made were that "when the going get tough, the tough get going.", "when there's a will, there's a way.","Important is not the destination, more important is the journey."

At the resort on tues, I read in the newspaper that the Crocodile Hunter, Mr Steve Irwin died on Monday when doing the thing he loves best; playing and teasing animals. I have watched some documentaries in Animal Planet, showing him doing dangerous stunt with animals and I told myself:" This guy is crazy!".

It is really not up to anyone to judge whether what he did was silly or worthwhile. I always like this quote from Abraham Lincoln, “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that counts. It’s the life in your years.”


 
This counter started on 16 June 2008: Free Site Counters